20 Tips for a Greener Lifestyle
It doesn't take a lot of time or commitment to do simple things to live a greener lifestyle; all it takes is a little conscious effort. Here are some simple, but effect ways to you, help the environment.
1. Lower your thermostat. Buy a programmable thermostat.
2. Reuse your water bottle. Avoid buying bottled water.
3. Start a compost in your back yard or on your rooftop.
4. Walk, jog, run or bike.
5. Get off junk mail lists. GreenDimes can get you started. They'll even plant a tree for you!
6. Buy locally. Find farmers' markets, family farms, and other sources of sustainably grown food near you at LocalHarvest.
7. Consider organic cleaning products like vinegar, borax, and baking soda.
8. If you have a baby, consider using cloth diapers. To sign up for a diaper service to do the dirty work, check out the National Association of Diaper Services.
9. Go paperless. Consider reading your newspaper and magazine subscriptions online. Switch to electronic banking and credit card payment, too.
10. Teach kids about the environment.
11. Take your batteries to a recycling center. Earth 911 gives you the scoop.
12. Turn your car off if you're going to be idle for more than one minute.
13. Do full loads of laundry and set the rinse cycle to “cold.”
14. Recycle. If you're not at home, take the extra steps, (literally), to find that recycling can.
15. Reuse. Plastic food containers make good crayon and marker holders.
16. Limit the length of your showers. Even better, take a “navy shower,” shutting off the water while soaping up and shampooing.
17. Don't run the water when brushing your teeth.
18. Give away your goods and find new ones at FreeCycle.
19. Recycle your technology. Dell, Hewlett Packard, Apple, and IBM, among others, offer recycling programs.
20. Learn about threats to ocean life and help Greenpeace take action.
22. Whenever you can, try using green cleaning products.
© Melt Magazine 2009